Monday, April 13, 2015

Introducing Children to Star Wars - SPOILER ALERT

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS ABOUT THE STORIES AND CHARACTERS OF THE STAR WARS TRILOGIES (ORIGINALS AND NEWBIES).

Like there are people who haven't seen Star Wars. Ha.

If you haven't seen Star Wars, just don't bother reading this. It won't make any sense. Instead, you should do yourself a favor and watch it. But please, for the love of God, start with the original trilogy, episodes four, five, and six, and if you feel you must watch the new trilogy, do yourself a favor and skip episode one entirely.

I realize the entire concept of "introducing" Star Wars to a child during the 21st Century is ridiculous - an age littered with spin-off books outside the new, unified universe, a new cartoon series on Disney, and the release of Episode 7 this year. I mean, come on! James is going to learn about Star Wars, one way or another.

But I want to control that introduction.

"Control, control, you must learn control!" Yoda demands this of Luke. What he demands of Luke, I am sure he demands of parents.

As I was recently reorganizing the books in James' bedroom library, I noticed two books on his shelf from the Darth Vader and Son series. Yes. You read that correctly. There were two books on his shelf that reveal the ultimate Star Wars spoiler.

What was I thinking? How could I have been so blind? I quickly scooped them off the shelf, looked down at my son's inquisitive eyes and muttered, "you never saw these!" as I rushed them off to a hiding place in our bedroom bookshelf.

Phew. That was close. I'm not sure how I'm going to introduce Star Wars to James, but I do know that I hope he gets to experience the story as if it's being told for the first time. So if any of you find yourselves in contact with my son, please, please do not take it upon yourself to spoil the story.

In the meantime, if any other parents are worried about this subject, here's some food for thought:




No comments:

Post a Comment