I found myself picturing the fabric as a dress and I just dove in. Before I knew it, I was at the cutting counter getting a couple yards and browsing the patterns. I used a basic a-line pattern and tweeked a few things (like the width of the shoulders and length from the natural waist - I think my changes made it a bit more young-looking). Here is the finished product with a belt:
And here it is without the belt - I know it looks huge on the hanger, but it looks pretty adorable even without the belt.
If you like what you see, I am selling the dress online in a variety of sizes on my etsy store.